The most common problem which is found in the present scenario is constipation. Normal bowel movements may vary from 1 per day to 3 per week. When a person has infrequent or hard stools or has to exert considerable effort while passing stool, they may be said to have constipation.
Nowadays, especially children and the older age groups are more prone to this condition though it is also found in the other age groups. And this is a condition many generally tend to ignore or self-medicate by some handy measures. Most of the time people do tend to say that they are “used to” it from a long time.
It is important to treat this condition to prevent complications like piles and fissures.
- Poor dietary habits - Less fiber or fluid intake
- Poor bowel habits
- Lack of exercise
- Due to some medications
- Some underlying disease( like hypothyroidism, diabetes, Parkinson’s disease multiple sclerosis)
- A structural cause or irritable bowel syndrome
- Hard stools and straining to pass stools
- Stools passed every alternate day.
- There may be burping, flatulence or passing gas
- Sometimes odor from the breath.
- There may be accompanying loss of appetite.
- Drink a warm glass of water early in the morning with honey and lemon.
- Eat fiber rich diet at least 10-12g of fiber daily; it is found in abundance in beans, oats, barley, apples and citrus fruits.
- At least one or two glasses of fluid should be taken along with every meal.
- Have steamed vegetables daily as it is, or blended into a soup form, this provides the necessary fiber to form the stools.
- Have a banana at breakfast daily. The bigger variety of banana is preferable for this condition
- Cut down on coffee, milk products.
- Regular walks and exercise helps this control this condition.
Constipation can be cured by homoeopathic medicines. Some dietary changes are suggested along with the medicine. The need for daily laxatives can be drastically brought down, with the homeopathic medicines. The treatment is short term, and the condition responds very well to Homeopathic medicines.
Homoeopathic medicines being mild, with no side effects, are very effective both for the treatment of children and the aged.
In cases of constipation due to irritable bowel syndrome, or an underlying thyroid issue, a complete constitutional treatment with proper dietary habits is very effective in cure of this condition.
Dyspepsia is a common condition which refers to indigestion in the stomach. It is aggravated by the modern lifestyles of eating out frequently, irregular sleep patterns, stress, and skipping meals. While self medications or treatment by home remedies can help, the chronic or recurrent condition has to be treated to prevent complications like gastric ulcers and acid reflux.
- Over eating or eating too quickly
- Eating high fat foods
- Alcohol or coffee- excessive drinking
- Some medications or drugs
- Some underlying disease or secondary infection(like diabetes, thyroid disease, kidney disorder, heart problems)
- An upper abdomen discomfort with fullness,
- Early satiety or feeling of satisfaction with no relation to the usual quantity of food
- Nausea, retching, or vomiting.
- Heartburn may be present
- With mild symptoms, a change in the eating habits; eating healthier food and eating on time; and sleep, exercise and destressing can cure the problem.
- Drink lots of water along with other fluids.
- Eating oily, spicy food and fatty foods should be reduced
- Avoid coffee
- Reduce Alcohol, smoking
Homoeopathic medicines are mild on the stomach and will not cause any side effects.As this medicine takes care of the acute condition it also prevents the risk of ulcers, or reflux oesophagitis or any other gastric complications due to recurrent attacks of dyspepsia. Dyspepsia is treated by planning out a proper diet along with homoeopathic medicines.
Vomiting is a very common condition. It is not a disease but a natural protective mechanism of the body to get rid of some underlying infection. It is a sign that body is trying to get rid of some abnormal harmful substance. Nausea is a vague, intensely disagreeable sensation of sickness or queasiness that may or may not be followed by vomiting.
Vomiting is the forcible expulsion of the contents of the stomach. The strongest stimuli
for vomiting are irritation and distension of stomach. Prolonged vomiting, especially in
infants and elderly people, can be serious since the loss of fluids can lead to disturbances
in fluid and acid-base balance.
Children are very prone to vomiting as they often have a sensitive stomach and succumb to infections very easily. This decreases the appetite and affects the immunity and growth of the child.
- Food poisoning
- Migraine headaches
- Any mechanical obstruction can cause vomiting
- Post operative
- Any kind of underlying disease
- Psychogenic (anticipatory vomiting)
- Oral contraceptives
Most causes of acute vomiting are mild, self limited, and require no specific treatment but if its not brought under control by any household measures than medicinal intervention is required.
- Have clear liquids and small quantities of dry food
- Lot of fluid intake should be done to prevent dehydration
- Spicy and oily food should be avoided
- Tea or coffee should also be stopped till the condition subsides
- Citrus fruits or juices can be taken
- A lemon can be squeezed with hot milk and a little quantity can be given sip by sip.
Homoeopathic medicines certainly act very well in persons having vomiting as a chronic problem. In this condition the medicines given have to be mild on the stomach and not increase the acidity; and here the homeopathic medicines are very useful.
If vomiting is due to some underlying disease than the disease condition is treated first otherwise the vomiting may only be temporary relieved.
Homoeopathic medicines have shown best results in cases of vomiting which are psychogenic (anticipatory vomiting).
Vomiting during pregnancy has also been effectively treated by the medicines as they are very mild in action and and are safe for the pregnant woman and the foetus.
Diarrhea is increased stool frequency (more than 3 bowel movements per day) or watery stools. Frequent diarrhea can result in dehydration and electrolyte imbalances.
It can be an indicator for the simplest infection to a major disease.
the causes for this condition are varied, and are mainly indicators of underlying disease conditions. Some of the basic causes are; Diet, or change of food habits; any kind of infection; Stress, anxiety; Irritable bowel syndrome; Lactose intolerance (milk allergy).
The cause may also be any underlying disease(scleroderma, diabetes mellitus, hyperthyroidism) or a Post surgical cause.
Loose stools or frequent diarrhea in children:
The most common cause of this is during teething. There are frequent stools and greenish in color. The child may be cranky and irritable. And homoeopathy gives a very effective remedial measure to cure this. Replacing the fluids and preventing dehydration is very important, and the medication is needed to control the problem.
It is seen that most of the problems arise cause of loss of fluids from the body. So more than medicine it is necessary that these lost fluids have to be restored.
- Fluids in the form of tender coconut and ORS have to be given.
- Till the diarrhea subsides bland food should be given and spicy food should be avoided.
- Pomegranate juice is advised during this condition.
- Leafy vegetables like especially spinach to be avoided.
- Fenugreek seeds have been found very effective as it has a cooling effect on the stomach.
In acute cases and in children the results of medication are very prompt; the medication being combined with fluid replacement.
Homoeopathic medicine cures the chronic diarrhoea. The frequency of diarrhea is first reduced and the patient starts regaining his strength. The weakness which might generally follow with the diarrhea is comparatively reduced. And with that the stools become normal as the treatment progresses.
Peptic ulcer is a break in the gastric or intestinal mucosa that arises when the normal mucosal defensive factors are impaired. They occur more commonly in men than in women.
Although it can occur in any age group, duodenal ulcers most commonly occur in age group of 30 to 55 years, whereas gastric ulcers in age group of 55 to 70 years. Nowadays because of the increasing stress factor and the eating habits of the people (esp. working) the incidence of this condition is found to be more, and is also seen in younger people.
- Bad eating habits- too much oily and spicy food; increased eating out; irregular eating.
- Drinking strong coffee, cigarette smoking, alcohol.
- Strong medication
- Chronic underlying infection
- Underlying diseases can also cause this condition.
- Pain in the upper abdomen just below the chest in most of the patients
- The pain is dull, gnawing, aching or “hunger-like”.
- pain is relieved with food or antacids with a recurrence of pain 2-4hrs later.
- The pain recurs periodically at or before meal times.
- Nausea and vomiting may occur with this complaint.
- Water intake should be increased
- Spicy and oily foods to be avoided
- Avoid frequent drinking of beverages like tea or coffee which can worsen the condition
- Fluids like tender coconut, jeera water, buttermilk and fruit juices should be had regularly.
- Meals should be had on time.
Peptic ulcers are very effectively treated by homoeopathic medicines. A detailed case history is taken including the diet of the patient, the habits, stress levels, the sleeping pattern, life style etc. all this is done to analyze the underlying cause and then according to this treatment is started.
The aim of the treatment would be to cure this condition and to prevent the recurrence of any such ulcers. The treatment plan will have a diet regimen, along with medicines and related advices concerned with the cause.
Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory condition that involves the mucosal surface of the colon, resulting in diffuse friability and erosions with bleeding. There might be periods of symptomatic flare ups and remissions.
- Diarrhea with blood in stools is the main symptom. There might be two varieties in the disease mild to moderate disease and severe disease
In the mild to moderate type, gradual onset of infrequent diarrhea is seen(less than 5 movements per day) with intermittent bleeding from the anus and mucus in the stools.
Stools may be formed too loose in consistency. There is increased urge to stools which is difficult to control. Abdominal pain may be present which is better by passing stools.
- In the severe disease:More than 6 to 10 bowel movements with bleeding per day. Abdominal pain and tenderness is present, with weakness.
- Spicy and oily foods are to be avoided
- Jeera water, tender coconut water and buttermilk are helpful
- Avoid coffee, soft drinks, and alcohol
- Avoid vegetables like potatoes, tubers and cabbage.
Ulcerative colitis is very effectively treated with Homeopathic medicines.
Initially the diarrhea and the bleeding are reduced bringing down the weakness. The pain is also brought down simultaneously.
These are engorged veins in the anal region, which get enlarged and inflamed. When enlarged, they can protrude out of the anus during stools.
The veins are put under pressure and become engorged with blood. If the pressure continues, the wall of the vein stretches oozes blood, and bleeding or itching is the first sign of this condition.
It is most commonly seen amongst individuals with a sedentary lifestyle, less physical exercise, and people with chronic constipation, who strain a lot to pass stools.
- Bleeding or itching.
- Swelling and pain- pain may be pricking or burning.
- Enlarged mass or protrusion from the anal- this is initially seen during the stools, and in later stages, the mass can protrude at other times.
- Pain and discomfort during stools and in some cases while walking or sitting.
- Have a high fiber diet to have proper bowel movements and to avoid hard stools
- Increase fluid intake with meals
- Regular exercise ensures proper bowel movements.
- Certain yogasanas are very helpful for this condition.
Homoeopathy have a very good treatment for Hemorrhoids
In initial stages, homoeopathic treatment can cure the condition, avoiding the need for surgery.
With the treatment, the bleeding and pain will be first brought under control, followed by reduction of swelling, gradually making the bowel habits proper.
It is seen that even after surgery there is a chance of recurrence of this condition in such cases homoeopathic treatment can prevent such a recurrence. A detailed case analysis is done following which a constitutional medicine is prescribed along with a suitable diet.
It is the disease where the intestine (colon) is involved. There may be ulcer formation or fistulas in the intestines.
The incidence of this disease is increasing due to the changes in lifestyle and trends.
There may be variety of symptoms and signs due to variable involvement of the intestine.
- Diarrhea which might be non-bloody and often intermittent.
- Crampy pain or steady pain in the right lower abdomen and around the belly button can be seen.
- Bloated ness of abdomen after eating with loud flatus
- Low grade fever with weakness
- Energy loss
- Weight loss
- Water or fluid intake of at least 2 lts per day.
- Spicy and oily foods are to be avoided
- A tender coconut daily is very good for this condition
- Avoid frequent drinking of beverages like tea or coffee which can worsen the condition
The appetite as well as weakness is restored back to normalcy after the medicine is given. The main aim of treatment is to treat the condition with less energy loss or weight loss and regaining the lost energy back.
This condition is very effectively treated in homeopathy. The symptoms are very well relieved with the medicines.
Lactose intolerance (milk allergy)
In some people, especially in children and older people, the small intestine fails to produce enough lactase, which is essential for the digestion of lactose or milk; this results in a condition called lactose intolerance.
Lactase deficiency; other gastrointestinal disorders; Crohn’s disease; malnutrition; giardiasis.
The severity of symptoms varies, from relatively minor to sufficiently serious to require medical attention.
Bloating, Abdominal cramps, Flatulence and diarrhea is seen. These are worsened by the intake of milk, and any diary products like curd, butter, ghee, cheese etc.
In children there is generally vomiting after milk, and regurgitations which look like curdled milk. There may also be recurrent coughs or respiratory allergic conditions with the lactose intolerance.
Lactose intolerance is very well treated by homoeopathy. Once a detailed case is taken, the treatment is started with a constitutional medicine with a regular follow up; this treatment will remove the allergic tendency of the person towards the milk or its products.
The homoeopathic medicines also correct the metabolism and absorption of the digestive system and clear the lactase deficiency.
In case of children who throw up milk, homoeopathic medicines are very effective because they are mild in action, with no side effects.
Jaundice, also known as icterus, is a symptom or clinical sign, not a disease by itself. It basically indicates underlying liver disease.The yellow coloration is caused by an excess amount of the bile pigment known as bilirubin.
Bilirubin is a product of break down of red blood cells and is normally processed by the liver and excreted from the body in bile. When the liver malfunctions, bilirubin is not excreted and builds up in the body.
Jaundice occurs when excess amounts of bilirubin circulating in the blood stream causes a yellowish appearance of the skin and the whites of the eyes.
Physiologic jaundice in the newborn is normal in the first week of life. It is common and unless associated with an abnormal condition clears without treatment.
Underlying disease- Obstruction of the bile ducts (by infection, tumor or gallstones); Hepatitis- viral or triggered by certain medications; Haemolytic anemia, malaria;; Toxicity - alcoholic liver disease; Gilbert's syndrome.
- dark yellow brown urine
- Loss of appetite, severe weakness, vomiting, and fever may be present
- pale stools and abdominal pain may be present
- yellow hue or colour of the skin due to the excess pigmentation
- eyes turn yellow initially; later the nail beds and inside of the mouth turn yellow
- Intense itching of skin
Other symptoms usually depend on the actual cause of the jaundice. Complications include hepatic failure and cirrhosis due to destruction of the liver cells and chronic active hepatitis wherein the jaundice may persist for several months.
- Drink 6-8 glasses of water a day
- Simple home made, easy to digest food
- Brown rice and millet
- Lot of raw fruits and vegetables, especially green leafy vegetables
- Fresh fruit juice
- Eating out.
- Avoid fried and oily food
- Reduce milk, dairy products like butter and cheese
- Processed foods like white sugar, white flour, etc.
- Coffee, soda, or soft drinks
- Meat and animal fats
- Smoking and alcohol
Exercise light to moderate amounts like yoga and stretching are good.Destress by going for walks and getting good rest.
The cause of jaundice must be determined before treatment can be given. The best way to treat jaundice is to correct the underlying cause. Homeopathic medicines can also help in improving the functioning of the liver.
As the intake of strong medicines can further cause a strain on the liver, Homeopathic medicines are excellent for this condition as they are very mild.
This condition is characterized by the formation of stones in the gallbladder the organ for storage of bile which is just below the liver .
They are more common in women than in men.
A hereditary predisposition to formation of stones can cause this condition.
Obesity or being overweight or Rapid weight loss; A high carbohydrate diet; Some drugs(medication) can also increase the risk; Individuals having Chron’s disease, diabetes mellitus, cirrhosis of liver, and hepatitis C virus infection
Some times there might be pain in the right upper abdomen with the tenderness on the region if touched. If the stone formation is associated with inflammation of the gallbladder too than there might be steady and severe pain with nausea or vomiting and fever.
Most of the time it is asymptomatic but is accidentally found during an ultrasound of the abdomen.
- Drink lots of water to prevent this condition
- Consume low carbohydrate diet.
- Diet should contain high fiber
- A good amount of exercise or physical activity may help prevent this condition
Gall stones have very good treatment in homoeopathy except in cases where there is obstruction and surgery is unavoidable
After a detailed study of the case the treatment will be started. A regular follow up is needed to cure this condition.
It is seen that the stones dissolve after medication slowly and the need for surgery can be avoided.
It is a prolonged disorder characterized by self induced weight loss, negative perception of body image, and health problems due to deficiencies.
Patients with such condition have a fixation on weight control and often, the insistence of having a bowel movement every day despite a lack of adequate food intake. They take laxatives in a frequent manner which worsens the fluid, electrolyte imbalance and nutritional deficiencies.
This disorder is mostly found in young women
- Loss of appetite, and very low intake of food
- Weight loss and Emaciation or becoming very thin and Lower metabolic basal metabolic rate
- Abnormal patterns of menstruation or Absence of menses
- The other symptoms are osteoporosis and depression.
As homoeopathic approach is a holistic, we consider the psychosomatic aspect and treat them accordingly. The appetite will also be normalized. In girls having depression, the depressed state will also be treated.
In this condition, more than just a physical involvement, the cause starts from the mind. The mind has a negative perception of the body image, for this counseling is very essential along with medications.
Bulimia (binge-purge syndrome)
A disorder that affects young women f in which there is overeating at least twice a week followed by purging by self induced vomiting, strict dieting or fasting , vigorous exercise or use of laxatives.
This binge-purge cycle occurs in response to being overweight, depression, and physiological disorders.
Frequent infections; Dry skin; Acne; Loss of hair; Constipation; Parotid gland enlargement; Pharyngeal scratches due to self induced gagging; Muscle spasms; Kidney and liver diseases; Ulcers; Hormonal imbalances;
This condition requires a lot of counseling as there is a psychological cause to it. A detailed case history is taken and the treatment is planned, including Homeopathic medicines and counseling. A regular follow up is required to cure this condition.